Jose Mourinho has already identified a Premier League star as his top transfer target as he closes in on a shock return to Real Madrid.The legendary Portuguese coach has agreed to return to the Bernabeu, according to Fabrizio Romano, who understands a two-year deal will be signed.Mourinho, 63, will reportedly travel to the Spanish capital after Real Madrid’s final match of the season against Athletic Club on Saturday.Mourinho has been in charge of Benfica since September 2025. Despite leading the Portuguese giants to an unbeaten league campaign, the Eagles only managed to secure third spot in the Primeira Liga table.But that hasn’t deterred Real Madrid president Florentino Perez from bringing Mourinho back to the Bernabeu, 13 years after he left the club following a three-year stint.Real Madrid are currently a club in crisis, with various high-profile incidents affecting the 15-time European champions in recent weeks, and Perez has turned to Mourinho to steady the ship.Federico Valverde and Aurelien Tchouameni were recently hit with a €500,000 fine each after a training ground bust-up, while star player Kylian Mbappe is currently being whistled by the club’s supporters after missing the Clasico which saw fierce rivals Barcelona secure a second consecutive La Liga title.Real Madrid will end the season without a major trophy - a crushing blow for Los Blancos - and caretaker manager Alvaro Arbeloa will now be asked to step aside for The Special One.Mourinho's Top Real Madrid Transfer TargetAccording to Football Insider, Mourinho’s top transfer target for Real Madrid is Manchester City’s talismanic midfielder Rodri.The Spain international, 29, is nearing the final year of his Man City contract and is yet to put pen to paper on a new deal.Mourinho, one of the greatest managers in football history, is said to be ‘very keen’ on bringing Rodri to Real Madrid, although Man City will be reluctant to lose Bernardo Silva, John Stones and Rodri in the same summer.“If Jose Mourinho wants Rodri for his new look Real Madrid, I’m sure he will ask the president, Florentino Perez, to do everything he possibly can to try and sign Rodri,” Football Insider’s Pete O’Rourke told the Transfer Insider podcast.“It’s obviously not going to be easy, because Manchester City do not want to lose such a key player as Rodri.”Rodri previously played for Atletico Madrid but hinted in March that he wouldn’t allow that to put him off a potential move to Real Madrid."There have been many players who've gone down that path," the 2024 Ballon d’Or winner told the Spanish media. "Not immediately, but over time. For me, you can't turn down the best clubs in the world."
Click here to read article