Star batter David Warner has been fined and will need an interlock device to drive a vehicle after being convicted for drink-driving in a Sydney court on Tuesday.The 39-year-old was fined $1500 on Tuesday for mid-range drink-driving after he tried to switch seats with a passenger when approaching a random breath-testing site on Easter Sunday.Warner's barrister argued he should be spared conviction for the offence – when he blew more than twice the legal limit – because he had suffered extra punishment as a result of media coverage.Awais Ahmad told Waverley Local Court his client's indiscretion had been covered in global outlets including ESPN, Al Jazeera and the Indian Express.Countries including India and Bangladesh, where Warner might be seeking to play in T20 franchise leagues, have an acceptance of a "non-drinking culture", Mr Ahmad said."The consequences of his offending are profound," Mr Ahmad said."Commercial opportunities (are) being affected."Warner was arrested while he was on an Easter trip home from the subcontinent, where he captained the Karachi Kings in the Pakistan Super League.When Warner saw the breath-testing site, he stopped short and attempted to swap seats with a female passenger, the agreed facts read out in court state.Once police identified him as the driver, he cooperated with the testing, Judge Farnan noted.Mr Ahmad questioned the decision of NSW Police to issue a press release about Warner's arrest given the unremarkable nature of the offence."The media onslaught thereafter has been quite profound," the lawyer said.Judge Clare Farnan said there was evidence of cruel social media commentary directed at Warner and his wife Candice Warner.His position as captain of the Sydney Thunder in the domestic Big Bash League was also under threat, the cricketer's lawyer said.The Thunder, along with rival Sydney Sixers and Sheffield Shield team the NSW Blues, are part of a state government campaign to deter drink-driving.Cricket NSW acknowledged Warner's sentence in a statement and added that it continued "to take the incident seriously, including educating all players on the importance of safe driving".Despite the former Australia opener's pleas, Judge Farnan said the need to deter the public from drink-driving was paramount in her decision to convict him, and the offence was aggravated because children were in the car at the time.More than 17,300 people had come before the court in the past five years for mid-range drink-driving, she said."I accept Mr Warner is unlikely to reoffend," she said."(But) regrettably, drink-driving is still a significant factor in many crashes in NSW."Warner will be able to drive after he applies for an interlock licence and has the device fitted to his car.The interlock will prevent the car from starting if it detects alcohol in his system.
Click here to read article