Sydney Swans stand down five players for rest of AFL season after alleged incident

2
The team defeated Essendon at the Melbourne Cricket Ground earlier that night.

“We’re still piecing together exactly what’s transpired here and have our own set of internal enquiries ongoing,” Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich said in a statement.

“It’s safe to say that we’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.

“We understand the level of interest in the matter. There’s going to be lots of speculation, but given it’s a police matter right now, that is all that we can say.”

Asked whether anyone had been arrested, he replied: “As I said, it’s a police matter ongoing. I’m not going to comment any further on it right now.”

The Swans face 13th-placed North Melbourne on Sunday before they take a week off in the first round of the playoffs.

- with AFP

Click here to read article

Related Articles