BREAKING: Renshaw returns as Aussies make bowler line-up call after unusual Test move

0
Australia weighed up launching an all-pace attack in a must win Test against Bangladesh in Mackay, but champion off-spinner Nathan Lyon has earned a reprieve for the vital clash.

In an unusual move given the practice when Lyon has been fit for red ball Tests in recent years, the Aussies opted against naming its XI a day out from the second Test in a match Australia must win to square the series.

Watch every ball of Australia vs Bangladesh Test Series live and ad-break free during play with Fox Cricket on Kayo | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.

Australia captain Pat Cummins, who confirmed Matt Renshaw would open after being recalled to the squad earlier this week in place of Jake Weatherald, said the make-up of the attack was weighing on the minds of selectors.

“(We are) trying to give it another day to see whether it’s four quicks or a spinner,” Cummins said.

“It’s largely conditions based. If you think there’s a good chance in that first or second first bowling innings (that) you’re going to take 10 wickets mainly with the quicks relatively quickly, and then perhaps the fourth innings isn’t going to break up, that’s a lot of the decision.

“Then probably related to that is having someone like Scotty Boland on the bench, who obviously is very class, I think that’s why the conversation always comes up.”

But after coach Andrew McDonald was involved in a further assessment of the pitch during Australia’s practice session on Friday, the Aussies are set to go with the status quo, with Lyon to be retained.

The final make-up of the side will be confirmed at the toss at 9.30am AEST on Saturday morning with playing starting in Great Barrier Reef Arena’s Test debut getting underway at 10am AEST.

Fox Cricket’s expert analysts said that while Mackay tended to flatten out, it could be spicy early, which is why the Australians wanted to assess the pitch further before making a call.

Curator Peter Kazakoff said the timing of the Test in late August could make the pitch more seam friendly than usual, but noted that history suggests that the deck will take spin as the match progresses.

Bangladesh captain Najmul Hossain Shanto expects the pitch in Mackay will be livelier than the deck in Darwin but he has no plans to change from the pace-spin attack that caused difficulty for Australia.

“Before we came here we prepared for a bouncy track with the series against Zimbabwe,” he said.

“The batters have used the net sessions in the last couple of days to prepare, so I think they will cope with the extra bounce.

“I’ve said many times that the spin attack we have is very experienced and can bowl to any conditions. They know how to bowl to these conditions so I had the luxury to go with three (pace bowlers) and two (spinners).”

Bangladesh PM celebrates historic win! | 00:45

Irrespective of the XI, the fact Australia was considering overlooking Lyon is another indication this is a team in flux ahead of what is a massive 12 months for the Test side.

After badly injuring a hamstring in Adelaide, Lyon spent several months recuperating before returning for what proved to be a debacle in Darwin when the Australian team suffered a historic loss on home soil to the Tigers.

The 38-year-old finished with figures of 1-102 from 31 overs in the first innings, though those figures would have been improved if Steve Smith had taken a chance offered by centurion Tanzid Hasan when on 62, and 0-23 in the second innings.

Former Australian captain Alyssa Healy flagged the prospect that Scott Boland could replace Lyon in the attack after the nine-wicket loss in Darwin if the conditions in the Queensland regional city did not look conducive to spin.

“It can start a little bit spicy up there. I’ve played a lot of T20 cricket there and they’ve left a lot of grass on the wicket, so you have to see what they provide,” she said.

“Nathan Lyon won’t like this, but do they go for four seamers? I’ll give him a hug later. Sorry, Nath.”

READ MORE

‘Never really been me’: Green’s honest admission as training pic offers big Marnus hint

He spent eight years in Test exile. Now Gilly says this recalled Aussie star can fix a glaring problem

This prodigy fell into cricket abyss before an Aussie great dragged him back. A baggy green awaits

But fellow Kayo Sports’ expert Kerry O’Keeffe said Lyon improved as the Test progressed, as did his fast-bowling colleagues, and said the off-spinner was hurt by the failure of the Aussie batters to post a significant score.

“I think the vibes are strong but in racing parlance, he will be better for the run,” he said.

“He is getting over the top pretty well ... and statistically his numbers are very strong. He is a little bit frustrated by the lack of runs he has to bowl behind. That can tinker with the psyche of a spinner. With Australia all out for 198 in the first innings, it hurts the spinner.”

Click here to read article

Related Articles