Collingwood has apologised after a letter sent to older members about the club’s bequeathment service drew ire on social media.WWOS reported the Magpies had sent the letters to members over the age of 50, alerting them to the program which involves the football club being added to a person’s will.Watch the 2026 AFL pre-season match sims and AAMI Community Series LIVE and ad-break free during play on FOX FOOTY, available on Kayo Sports | New to Kayo? Join now and get your first month for just $1.All 18 clubs have bequest societies with those willing to posthumously donate to their footy teams given rewards such as memberships and special access to events.“By joining Side by Side Forever with a gift in your will, you can leave a lasting mark on the club you love,” the letter posted by Twitter user Wes read.He wrote: “My mum got this today.“Are they serious? How much money do they need?”The letter included instructions on how to amend existing wills to add the Magpies as a benefactor.According to the Pies’ website, users of the Side By Side Forever program receive invitations to exclusive recognition events with guest speakers including past and present players, a commemorative lapel pin and commemorative apron, and access to certain game day specials and experiences when available.While it’s relatively common for groups like charities to reach out, or for schools to contact alumni, Magpies CEO Craig Kelly apologised amid the backlash on Thursday evening.“We sincerely apologise to anyone who felt upset or uncomfortable receiving this communication – particularly supporters currently navigating difficult circumstances,” he said in a statement.“Our intention was to offer members the option to consider a legacy gift if they wish – something that is commonplace across many AFL clubs and organisations.”Hawthorn has previously listed bequestor funding in its annual report, with 87 having chosen to donate to the club in their wills as of 2022.Melbourne launched its Ron Barassi Bequest Society in 2012 and lists 124 members including Barassi himself.Many clubs use these donations to support community programs while the Hawks’ donations go towards their public ancillary fund which helped fund their new Dingley training base.“A number of our members and their families are often in contact with the club wanting to make a financial contribution via a bequest,” the Hawks told The Age in 2025.“Any request that is made to make a bequest to the club is treated with respect, care and follows a clear process within the club.”
Click here to read article